Our Responsibility Commitment
What does it mean to be a responsible company?
The first step in being a responsible company is to simply try to be responsible. We don't claim to be perfect but we are striving to ask the hard questions about sustainability, labor, the environment, consumerism, and waste. We also relish the beautiful questions about the values of generosity, empathy, and giving.
- Our core responsibility is to feeding hungry Americans. When we learned that 48 million Americans including 16 million American kids were food-insecure, we decided on the spot, we had to do something. The idea was simple: design and sell apparel from which 12 meals can be generated to feed the hungry.
- We then began to source apparel and focused exclusively on American companies, so as to keep as much of our dollars circulating in our economy. To date, we have given business to many apparel companies, strengthening their bottom lines.
- All of our printing has been done at locally-owned print shops by people who all know our names and ask about our baby. It's personal.
- Whenever possible, we use organic and sustainable products such as shirts made out of recycled plastic bottles.
But, we know we have a long way to go and are far from 'perfect'.
Areas we are working on:
- We constantly are sourcing more sustainable apparel such as organic, bamboo, recycled, and beyond.
- We are continuing to investigate cleaner dyes for our printing.
- We aim to be carbon neutral but aren't there yet.
We are a small, locally-owned company doing our best. This is a very difficult yet exciting time to be social entrepreneurs, which is why we are asking for your support. At the very least, we are trying.
Responsibility, therefore, means to keep improving, to ask the hard questions, and to strive to go against the conventional ideas about consumerism and corporate responsibility.